Why a WordPress Website?
I’ve been working as a web designer in Oxford for almost 20 years, and in that time I’ve seen countless new formats, technologies and platforms come and go as the web design world has evolved.
Over the last decade and a half, WordPress has steadily risen from a simple blogging platform to become an all-powerful, industry-standard CMS, with some estimates suggesting that a third of ALL sites on the web are built on WordPress.
So just why is WordPress the right choice for your new website?
Due to it’s popularity, WordPress is now of one of the most flexible tools available to web designers and developers who want to create compelling websites for their clients.
I’ve been using WordPress almost exclusively over the last 5 or so years for my web design clients across Oxfordshire because I know it’s a stable platform that I can trust. It offers great flexibility to allow me to design sites that are engaging and easy-to-use, both for the customer and their site visitors.
Here are my top reasons for choosing WordPress for my client sites:
- Easy to Use – WordPress comes packed with the features that most sites need to get working straightaway, making it easy to create pages, edit menus and work with images and other media quickly.
- Customisable – Whether using an off-the-shelf template, or fully bespoke custom design, WordPress gives a web designer ultimate control over how a site looks and functions.
- Flexibile – With a huge range of plugins available, WordPress can be used to power a wide range of sites, from simple brochureware sites and blogs to online shops and event directories.
- Secure – WordPress is constantly being updated and refined, with security patches automatically rolled out to keep your site safe. With a few extra plugins employed to help cover key threats, you’ll have peace of mind that your site and data are secure.
- Quick – With some simple optimisations and enhancements, WordPress sites can be made to load quickly – ensuring that your users stay on your site and find the information you need, and meeting a key requirement of Google’s site performance measures.
- Well Supported – With such a large developer and user community working on WordPress, you can be sure that there will always be a solution to any question or feature requirement that you may have.
- Compatible – WordPress is powered by industry-standard technologies (PHP and MySQL), meaning it should work on most web hosting packages with little extra setup required.
- Value for Money – It is free to download/install WordPress, and many of the plugins that can be used to extend a site are free also, or available for only a small fee, meaning that more of your project budget can be used towards great design and usability.
If you’re looking to build a new website that can not match the quality of your business now, but also grow and expand with you, then I would highly recommend using WordPress – 1/3 of all sites on the web can’t be wrong after all?!